Friday, March 4, 2011

Apricot Pork Chops - The Surprise Hit Dinner

It's Friday.  Finally.  I don't know about you, but it seemed like this week was never going to end.  There was too much drama.  I hate drama. But, here we are, and I'm loving it. 

This week was a grocery disaster. I went grocery shopping, snagged some great deals (I had $75.00 in coupons!) and was able to keep the bill under $150 (we are a family of 6!).  Sounds great, right?! Until a snafu at the register had me leaving the store empty handed and without my coupons.  I. Was. Mad.  I'm over it, but it made for an interesting week, meal wise.

I wound up at Albertsons later this week and was able to pick up two 2 pound packages of pork chops for $2.99 each (Managers Special).  In my search for a pork chop recipe because I begin to feel like I am always cooking the same thing, I stumbled on this.  It sounded yummy so I figured I try it.  So glad I did!  During dinner, my 8 year old told me I had to make this again.  It came out super moist and slightly sweet.  I served it with the thickened sauce over rice with a side of mixed veggies.


Apricot Pork Chops

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds pork filets or chops
  • 1 cup chopped apple
  • 1 cup chopped dried apricots (I used sugar free apricot preserves)
  • 1/2 cup fresh or dried cranberries (optional) (I used whole cranberries I had in the freezer)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, small chop (I didn't have any celery, but I did have the Litehouse freeze dried celery bits in my pantry)
  • 1/2 cup apple juice (didn't have so I replaced with water)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry (didn't have - I omitted)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with
  • 2 tablespoons cold water

    Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients; cover and cook 7-9 hours on low. About 30 minutes before serving, pour the liquid into a separate container and skim off excess fat. Stir in cornstarch mixture and return broth to crockpot. Continue cooking on low for another 20-30 minutes until smooth and thickened.
I found this recipe on CDKitchen.com



I had to make a few changes due to not being prepared for this, but it came out awesome.  I can't wait to try it as written! 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment